SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- Taco Stuffed Squash Boats
Recipe courtesy: Dietitian Mesha Cowan of Citizens Memorial Hospital
Serving size: 2 Squash Boats
Recipe serves: 4
4 medium summer squash, cut in half lengthwise
½ cup salsa
1 pound lean ground turkey
1 tablespoon low sodium taco seasoning (recipe below)
½ small onion, diced
¼ cup bell pepper, diced
4 oz can tomato sauce with no salt added
¼ cup water
½ cup Mexican blend shredded cheese
¼ cup chopped scallions or cilantro, for topping
1. Preheat oven to 400-degrees. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
2. Cut squash in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, scrape out the seeds.
3. Place the squash in the boiling water for 1 minute, then place on a paper towel to drain.
4. Spoon ¼ cup salsa into the bottom of a large baking dish and arrange squash face up. Set aside.
5. Brown turkey in a large skillet until no longer pink. Add seasoning, onion, pepper, tomato sauce and water and stir to combine. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
6. Fill each squash boat with the turkey mixture, then top with cheese. Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes or until squash is soft, and cheese is melted. Garnish and serve with salsa.
Calories 256, Total fat 12g, Sodium 386mg, Total carbohydrate 14g, Dietary fiber 4g, Protein 26g
Sodium Free Taco Seasoning
Serving size: 2 tablespoons per 1 pound of meat
6 tablespoons chili powder
4 teaspoons ground cumin
3 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Mix all ingredients together and store in an airtight container.