REPUBLIC, Mo. (KSPR) -- An overloaded electrical outlets can be a safety concern.
In fact, it is being blamed for shutting down one city's senior center. But workers stayed at the job.
"We just enjoy working together. We're more like a family," said Shirley Turner. "Do you know how many of those there are?"
Turner is one of the cooks who prepares meals that are delivered to seniors' homes.
"Everyday we make different kinds of frozen meals, to send out for frozen meals,' said Turner. "Today we have done meatballs."
Turner says her favorite part of making the food-- is serving lunch to people here at the senior center.
"I like working and helping older people," said Turner. "I'm older than most of them. But I just like to do it. It was unfortunate that we had to close today-- because today was our bingo day."
Keri Duke is the senior center administrator.
"I got here about 6:30 this morning, and the cooks of course were already here," said Keri Duke. "And they noticed that the breakers were breaking, and of course shutting off the electricity. And we've had a bit of a problem with that. And we knew it was an overload situation. It's just that we haven't come out to spend any length of time because we're always so busy getting the meals together."
Duke says city workers came out and fixed the problem by spreading out some of the appliances, like the soup warmer and microwave.
"We do what we have to do to protect our seniors," said Duke.
Despite the electric issue-- Duke says the kitchen was able to operate safely
"I cook all the time." said Duke.
So seniors who can't cook for themselves any longer-- can still get a home-cooked meal.
"The old-fashioned way," said Duke. "Not out of a can or a bottle."