HOLLISTER, Mo. -- Smoke alarms warned a family who escaped an early morning fire in Hollister.
Firefighters responded to the home on Crab Tree Lane shortly before 4 a.m. Heavy smoke showed from the home's attic. Flames then shot out of the roof.
Firefighters immediately mounted an offensive attack to the interior of the structure and quickly extinguished the fire. Due to the location of the fire in the attic, a large amount of the drywall ceiling had to be removed to make sure there was no hidden fire. Firefighters used salvage covers to protect much of the belongings.
Firefighters believe the fire started in the attic around the flue for the wood burning fireplace. Firefighters remained on scene for about two and a half hours in frigid temperatures to mitigate the incident.