Convicted killer's friends shed light on his behavior before he murdered a Springfield child

Frances Watson Court was in session Saturday morning for the second day of the penalty phase of Craig Wood's murder trial.

Thursday, the former Springfield Schools teacher's aide and coach was convicted of first degree murder for kidnapping, raping, sodomizing and killing 10 year-old Hailey Owens in 2014.

The defense team continued to call on people to speak on Craig Wood's behalf. They're hoping to give the jury something to consider in order to save Wood's life.

"Disbelief. I remember repeating out loud, oh God no. God no," said Wood's longtime friend, Will Kilborn.

Wood's friends gave the jury a glimpse of what he was like before he murdered Owens.

"I considered him a functioning alcoholic. I think he kind of knew his limits on when he needed to stop in order to be able to get up and function and get up for work the next day or whatever he needed to do," said Kilborn.

Another longtime friend, Dorn Morris said, "He would smoke marijuana and meth six or seven months before that.

Defense attorney, Pat Berrigan asked, "Six or seven months before what?"

"His arrest," said Morris.

They say they are still having a hard time dealing with what he's done.

"I've kind of gone back and forth on how I feel about all this. He's a longtime friend that I care about, has always been there for me but at the same time I have some anger there and some still disbelief. It's very hard to deal with," said Kilborn.

Like his father, Wood's mother is standing by him.

"I try to keep in contact with him and to support him during this time, to make sure that his spiritual connection is strong," said Regina Wood.

Wood's parents asked a priest they know talk to him.

"He said it was just horrible to realize what he had done, what he had deal with. The fact that he had nightmares. All of this we talked about the fact that the first several months were really terrible," said Father Mike McDevitt.

He says Wood has condemned himself and thinks of suicide.

"Craig never broke down and cried but tears came to his eyes. I'd have to say that almost every meeting that I had with Craig, if you could read his eyes, you knew that there was remorse," he said.

Court will be in session on Monday morning with more people speaking on Wood's behalf.

The jury is expected to make their decision on Wood's fate sometime next week.

He will either be sentenced to death or will spend the rest of his life in prison without the possibility of parole.