Cat owners beware of accidental poisonings

MONETT, Mo. A veterinarian at Country View Animal Clinic in Monett, Mo. reports a case of accidental cat poisoning.

Permethrin, a chemical found in many flea ointments and creams meant for dogs, can actually be very dangerous for cats.

In order to be on the safe side, pet owners should try to avoid any type of flea medication easily spread from dog to cat through direct contact. Using a pill form of flea control is a much safer option or you can use diatomacious Earth, which is a powder that is very safe for dogs, cats and humans. If your cat has been in contact with this substance, you will start to notice symptoms quickly.

"Within minutes they'll start to salivate and muscle tremors and dilated pupils can happen within 5 to 10 minutes," said veterinarian Rebecca Skinner. "Seizures can ensue within 30 minutes so it can be very quick."

If you think your cat has been in contact with this chemical, veterinarians say to immediately bath them in warm water and dawn dish soap and then take them to your nearest vet immediately.

Read the original version of this article at www.ky3.com.