The Sauce – A Mornay Sauce
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons AP flour
- 3 cups whole milk, warmed
- pinch of nutmeg and pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups gruyere, shredded
- Melt butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Slowly pour in the milk while whisking. Allow to thicken for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the sauce coats the back of a spoon, turn off the heat and stir in nutmeg, pepper, salt and cheese.
- Put a lid on the sauce and set aside.
- butter for spreading
- 12 slices sourdough bread
- 1/3 cup Dijon mustard (optional)
- 4 cups gruyere or emmentaler cheese
- 1 pound thinly sliced cooked ham
- Mornay sauce (recipe above)
- 6 eggs
- 5 sprigs thyme, stems removed and chopped
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter one side of each of the slices of bread.
- Place 6 slices of bread butter side down on a baking sheet, spread Dijon mustard evenly over each slice and layer evenly with ham and ½ cup of cheese.
- Spread 2 Tablespoons of mornay sauce onto the non buttered side of the remaining 6 slices. Lay bread on top of cheese with the buttered side up. Repeat with remaining bread.
- Heat a large skillet or electric griddle or griddle pan over medium heat and in batches toast each side of the sandwich, about 2-3 minutes a side. Return toasted sandwich to the baking sheet. Repeat. Cover each sandwich with 3 Tablespoons mornay sauce and sprinkle with remaining cheese and place in the oven on the top rack while you fry your eggs.
- Butter an oven safe sauté pan or griddle over medium/ low heat. Crack eggs into the pan far enough apart so they don’t completely run together. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Turn your oven to broil and put your sauté pan with your eggs on the middle rack. Once the cheese browns and bubbles your eggs should be done (they will be runny, keep them in a 350 degree oven for 5 more minutes if you want over hard). Serve sandwich with egg on top and sprinkle with thyme and salt.
- 1/3 cup apple, diced
- 1/3 cup blueberries
- 1/3 cup strawberries, sliced thin
- 1/3 cup pineapple, diced
- 1 bottle sparkling cider
- In a pitcher stir together all of the fruit. Keep chilled in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Just before serving pour in sparkling cider, stir and serve in champagne flutes.