KSPR Girls Basketball Power Rankings - Week 9
(Teams are ranked by the KSPR Sports Department based on their relative strength to class size. Overall dominance, strength of schedule, quality wins, and momentum are factors in determining the order. Stats and details are based on information submitted by coaches. Feel free to email comments to firstname.lastname@example.org)
(Last week in parenthesis)
1. Glendale (1) – The Lady Falcons picked up their 20th win of the season last week with wins over Parkview and Joplin and haven’t lost since 2011. The Lady Falcons are the host and top seed of the class 5 district 11 tournament next week. They have a 1st round bye and will play the winner of Kickapoo/Branson Tuesday.
2. Seymour (2) – No contest last week; the Lady Tigers remained perfect with a 24 point win over Strafford and a 66 point win over Billings in the opening round of their own tournament. Coach Frank’s girls could face a test with Clever and then either Walnut Grove or Fordland in the championship game.
3. Ozark (3) – The Lady Tigers remained hot with a 51-17 dismantling of Neosho before spoiling Nixa’s senior night 41-30 Tuesday night. Haylee Beard led the way for Coach Little’s girls who will assume the #2 seed in districts behind only Glendale.
4. Walnut Grove (4) – The MBCA 9th ranked Lady Tigers gave the voters something to think about last week with a 61-45 home win over previously class 1 8th ranked Weaubleau. Sophomore Heather Harman had a big week, averaging 20 points, dishing out 14 assists in a win over Gainesville.
5. Eminence (5) – The Lady Redwings beat Thayer 63-55 behind senior Kelsey Williams’ 25 points.
6. Sparta (6) – The class 2 top ranked Lady Trojans picked up double digit wins over Clever and Crane last week. Senior Mikalah Hardcastle reached the amazing 1,500 point career mark. Also congrats to Sparta freshman Cailyn Long on being voted "Ozark's best girls basketball player."
7. West Plains (7) – The Lady Zizzers picked up Ozark Conference wins over Waynesville and Hillcrest last week. They are the host and top seed of the class 5 district 10 tournament, which they are heavy favorites to win.
8. Purdy (8) – I suppose defense is an understatement considering the Lady Eagles 71-7 win over McAuley. Addy Roller continues her pursuit of the states all-time 3-point record, needing just 3 makes Thursday night in Fair Grove to equal the 285 3’s made by Dadeville’s Michelle Holman in 1994-1997. By the way, the top 8 spots in this week’s power rankings went unchanged.
9. Republic (11) – The Lady Tigers are one of few teams on the move up this week’s power rankings after quality wins over Nixa and Willard. The Lady Tigers earned the top seed in the class 4 district 11 tournament. The hosts draw a 1st round by and will play the Marshfield/ Rogersville winner Wednesday night.
10. Stockton (14) – The Lady Tigers are another of the teams on the rise. The defending state champs picked up double digit wins over Pleasant Hope and Dadeville led as always by the dynamic Burton duo.
11. Nixa (9) – The Lady Eagles had a tough week with losses to Republic and Ozark. Coach Middleton’s girls could get another shot with Ozark next week if they can beat Parkview in the class 5 district 11 opener Saturday.
12. Fordland (15) – The Lady Eagles are up a couple spots after wins over Mtn Grove and Bakersfield. Next up, a meeting with class 1 powerhouse Walnut Grove at the Seymour Tournament.
13. Skyline (10) – After a 51-34 win over El Dorado Springs the Lady Tigers finally returned to Earth with a 45-44 loss to Ash Grove.
14. Weaubleau (12) – The Lady Tigers are down a couple spots after a 61-45 loss at fellow class 1 power Walnut Grove last Friday.
15. Ash Grove (NR) – The Lady Pirates jump back into the top 15 after wins over Crane and Skyline. Coach Milleson’s young club appears to be hitting its stride at the right time.
Dropped out: Clever
Knocking on the door: Kickapoo, Bolivar, Ava, Southwest, Mt Vernon, Crane, Branson, Carthage, Fair Grove, Marionville, Chadwick