REEDS SPRING, Mo. -- Firefighters blame a wood-burning stove for a fire that destroyed a home near Reeds Spring on Thursday.
Firefighters say the home off of Keystone Road was 85-percent engulfed when they arrived. They believe the homeowners started a wood-burning stove, then left to get more wood. Someone sleeping inside the home awoke to the sound of popping and the smell of smoke. That person escaped the fire.
Firefighters also rescued a puppy, hiding beneath the home. The American Red Cross is assisting the family of five.