A 7-month-old girl was a bit of a medical mystery after being admitted to a Hutchinson hospital Saturday when an area of her jaw swelled up larger than a golf ball.
Luckily, a doctor at Hutchinson Regional Medical Center discovered the problem when she pulled a 2-inch black feather out of young Mya Whittington's neck area.
"I was just like, they pulled a feather out of my child," Mya's father, Aaron Whittington says. "How crazy is that?"
The baby at some point likely swallowed or inhaled the feather, which then pierced the inside of her cheek or throat.
"The best guess is that she had put it in her mouth and it either got lodged in the throat or stuck in the throat," Whittington says. "The body being crazy as it is just started to reject it and forced it out."
Doctors say Mya probably had been in a lot of pain for quite awhile. But her parents say she only cried when nurses poked her. She is back home now and doing fine.