1. Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan. Add water to cover by 1 inch .
2. Cover ; quickly heat just to a boil. Turn off heat.
3. If necessary, remove pan from burner to prevent further boiling. Let eggs stand, covered, about 15 minutes for large eggs (12 minutes for medium, 18 for extra-large).
4. Run cold water over eggs or place them in ice water until completely cooled.
5. To remove shell, crackle it by tapping gently all over. Roll egg between hands to loosen shell. Peel, starting at the large end. Hold egg under running cold water or dip in bowl of water to help ease off shell.
6. In the shell, hard-cooked eggs can be refrigerated up to one week. Shelled, eggs should be eaten that day.